Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Underwhelmed.

I used to see the weekend as a time to play catch up on the things that were neglected all week around the house. This past Saturday however, I took a look around. There wasn't a space in my house I could go where my eyes didn't immediately dart to areas to clean and spaces to declutter. I felt cagey and anxious. I was snippy with my husband and stressed out.

Something needed to change ASAP.

I spent the rest of the weekend taking time to write down every single chore/housework task that needs to happen on a daily, weekly, and monthly basis. I wrote down projects that need to be completed. I made a list of things to put on Craigslist. I finally took the time to make a budget that balances to zero each month. I made a meal plan for the week.

When I had all of the data right in front of me, I was shocked to see how much there is to really do.

I want to do this for me, so that I won't be a crazy stressed out basket-case. But even more than that, Malone deserves to live in a clean and well organized space. Mike deserves a peaceful environment.

I'm trying really hard to make sure all of the daily tasks as well as a few of the weekly ones are accomplished each day. I'm keeping the laundry moving. Mike is pitching in too.

I'm finding I still need an hour or so more than what I currently have and working to find it. I will find it.

Somewhere.

Somehow.

But for now, I am enjoying being underwhelmed by it all.


12 comments:

  1. I've started doing laundry every day. We have a pay laundry in our building and I used to think it was cheaper to do one big load once a week or so but I realized that doing smaller loads throughout the week costs the same and takes less time to fold. *duh* I also sometimes do this thing called a daily docket, where the night before or first in the morning, I think about my general to-do list, then pick three things to get done that day. It's usually one household chore, one personal thing and an errand. That makes it all seem more manageable for me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you! I really need to do this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was so freeing! Honestly, I feel like a new (focused) person!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A docket sounds like a great idea! I think I'll try it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so afraid to do this in my own home! LOLOLOL Proud of you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I highly recommend it! I feel SO MUCH better!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I need to do this! I feel the same way when I look around my house.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Before I did it, I felt so overwhelmed that I didn't even know where to begin. I haven't developed my daily to do list yet (that is coming this weekend I think), but having it all out in front of me and keeping up with the daily things has been a HUGE help!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love this post. I go through stages of this every now and then. I get everything organized, and then it gets unorganized again. My new challenge needs to be to KEEP it organized.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks! I think once I get it all under control, I will be able to keep it all there as long as I keep chugging along with the daily things. I had to start my project list because I'd start cleaning in one area and then get sucked into a project. Now, I hope I can be a little more intentional about it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's so stressful to look around the mess and think of all the things that have yet to be finished. I try to focus a bit more on the "well, at least I dusted off the TV," and try to tackle piles of messes one at a time. It's stressful though and I hate it, too :(

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one. Things are better around here now that we're keeping up on things. But there are still piles and projects everywhere!

    ReplyDelete