Today is December 1st. Which means I missed the boat on writing my thankfuls for November. I'm making up for it today.
1. I am thankful for the the reflection of my mother that I see in Malone. She may be gone, but I see her everyday when I look at him.
2. I am thankful for life celebrations big and small. Within November I have celebrated with my friends as they've announced a pregnancy, had a child sleep through the night for the first time since that child was born, weaned, had a child, and bought a house.
3. I am thankful for Motherwoman. They are doing inspired work, changing the world one Mother at a time.
4. I am thankful for familiar smells. My Aunt Nancy's house still smells the same way today that it did 25 years ago. The same rings true with the Lutheran Church in my hometown.
5. I am thankful for the library (even if I am terrible at returning my books).
6. I am thankful for outdoor Christmas Lights and getting to be a witness to Malone's first impressions of them. "Oooooooooh la lah. That is ahhh-sum, Mama!"
7. Speaking of Malone- I am thankful for his tiny toddler Boston accent, even though I have no idea where it came from.
8. I am thankful for the freedom of speech and expression.
9. I am even more thankful for those who are respectful (and not judgmental) of other people's right to free speech and expression.
10. I am thankful for my smallish collection cookbooks from my mother, my grandmother, and my great aunt and my great great grandmother. They are worn, dog eared, full of notes, and love.
11. I am thankful for food. Specifically, LOCAL food. It has been such a joy to be able to teach Malone where our food comes from by visiting our farm share and farmers market.
12. I am thankful that the movie Malone is currently obsessed with is a Dan Zanes concert DVD. The music is fun and doesn't cause us to gauge out our eyes.
13. I am thankful for my introvert husband who doesn't seem to mind staying home with Malone while I go out on the town.
14. I am thankful for honest and open communication.
15. I am thankful for Smart Wool socks, flannel comforters, and a really awesome infrared space heater that keep us warm in the winter.
16. I am thankful for beach breezes, ocean waves, and sand beneath my toes. Summer. Cape Cod.
17. I am thankful for silly stories that usher little boys into dream land. And the request for "One. Last. Stoa-wie.".
18. I am thankful for my roots. They are strong and deep in the middle of a tiny town nestled between corn fields in every directions. They are fresh and growing in the Happy Valley.
19. I am thankful for Trader Joe's Sea Salted Caramels. They are the best 220 calories on the planet. Their arrival in the store means that the holiday season is near.
20. I am thankful technology that allows me to keep up with family and friends who live far away- Facebook, Skype, and Facetime.
21. I am thankful for Malone's love of gymnastics. It is so nice to share my passion with him.
22. I am thankful for my job. Not only to to have one, but one where I am treated as a valued employee. I work for an organization where people truly work in a team atmosphere, new ideas are celebrated/encouraged, and the leadership is encouraging.
23. I am thankful for my nephew, Andrew, who is six months younger than Malone.
24. I am thankful for Starbucks.
25. I am thankful for the mothers in my life who have gone before me and the wisdom they have to share.
26. I am thankful for Maria Curtain McKinney. After returning from living in Africa, she single handly started a program for new mothers at my local hospital several years ago. My life was changed because of the people I met while attending.
27. I am thankful for my grandparents dinner time rules- hats off, no politics, no religion.
28. I am thankful for Rescue Remedy.
29. I am thankful for inspiration that strikes at the oddest moments.
30. I am thankful for my husband. He is the yin to my yang. If I were stranded on a deserted island, I'd want him there with me (because he'd totally figure out some way to make coffee)!